Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Parable of Watching Welding on TV


I decided to share this here, not sure why but I do know I need to update this more often.  :)

Today my parents were talking with one of their old exchange students on Skype and I had the thought to sneak up and pop a balloon to scare the exchange student.  Then I realized that wouldn't work because the pop wouldn't be loud on her end.  I thought back about how I'd always been taught to not look at a welding arc, and it's for good reason!  On occasion I find myself looking away out of habit when they show somebody welding on TV, but it's safe to look at on TV.  Like how the balloon pop isn't loud to someone talking on Skype.


The reason is the computers' limitations.  The microphone can't pick up sounds as loud as a balloon pop, and the speakers on the other end probably can't make sounds that loud.  Same thing with the TV, the camera can't pick up light as bright as a welding arc, and the TV couldn't display it even if the camera was that sensitive.

Then I realized, this has spiritual connections.  It may be a little technical or far fetched, but it was meaningful to me.

God is sending us messages all the time.  He speaks to us trying to guide us to happiness, or, the more fertile parts of life (1 Nephi 16:16).  The scriptures describe God's voice as still and small (1 Kings 19:12) or as a feeling (Galatians 5:22).  The message he is sending is the most amazing message we can hear in this life; more glorious than anything we can message.  Are we able to receive it?

First, we might not be sensitive enough.  We may only feel part of the message, nor not believe it when we receive the message the first time.  How might we grow sensitive enough to hear it?  My best understanding is to practice listening.  Spend time focusing on listening to what God has to say every day.  This happens best through personal scripture study and prayer.  That's part of why those two things are mentioned over and over.

Second, we might use the message to hurt ourselves.  The scriptures talk about the Jews missing the mark and this knowledge they sought became a stumbling block (Jacob 4:14).  They started wanting spiritual knowledge that they weren't ready to receive, and it caused their downfall.  Do you believe all that God has taught you?  Do you keep wanting to learn more but aren't doing the simple things God has taught you to do?

Sometimes it seems like I keep hearing the same message over and over from God.  Sometimes it was conference, or it's talks at church, and I realized it's because I'm not listening.  When I stop listening I stop progressing.  Leaning back on the Book of Mormon lesson, the pointers on the Liahona stop working, and I start to get lost.

So what do we do?

I know that as we keep trying, God will strengthen us.  His message will get brighter and brighter in our hearts.  We may feel like we aren't getting anywhere, but we are getting somewhere spiritually.  Every day we hold to God's word and live his commandments we grow stronger spiritually.  Our desire and ability to repent increases.

I know God loves us.  We may not understand how he expresses his love, but it is always there.  He will help us understand if we just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment