Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Diesel for all five senses!

Note to self: I need to figure out how to make this thing stop saying my wife is posting everything.

Our 1998 Ford Explorer got it's gas tank filled with diesel. It wasn't me, but I was tasked with fixing it. By time I got it fixed I was very soaked in Diesel.

I was told it had an anti siphon feature so I couldn't siphon the diesel out of the tank, so I first looked into disconnecting the fuel line and using the fuel pump to pump the diesel out. Well the directions I found online didn't fit this Explorer (even though he said he was working on the same model) but it did seem like all you'd need to do is turn the key on. I jacked the vehicle up so I could get to the fuel tank and found there wasn't much room under there. I tried taking off the hose clamps on the back of the tank but they were either too rusted or designed to not be removed easily, so I did some more researching. I found a story online about a guy who was trying to train the fuel tank and somebody commented that you can get a siphon tube in the tank, it would just be a little difficult.

It took a lot of pushing but I did manage to get a piece of garden hose to reach the fuel in the tank. I only got about 14 gallons siphoned out, with maybe a gallon spilled on me. I decided to try filling it up with gas and see if it ran. It didn't at first but after a bit of cranking it started running roughly. After a few more minutes it was idling normal, so I think the problem has been solved.Link

No comments:

Post a Comment