Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Movie Review - Voyage of the Dawn Treader

We went to see two matinee movies on Saturday to catch up on the movies we've been wanting to watch. It's awesome we both got to see two movies at the cheap theater for the price of one new movie ticket.

Voyage of the Dawn treader is a movie that I can say I liked more than the book. How often is that said? :) I remember when I first read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in 5th grade I was really excited about it. Mom told me there was an entire series and I started into them. When I got the the Dawn Treader I remember getting bored quickly and the whole book thinking "Uhg all they're doing is sailing and having troubles and being miserable!" I found the fourth book much more interesting and it picked up for the rest of the series. (Yes, it was the third book in this series, I didn't read the modern version that put the Magician's Nephew first).

The thing I liked the most about the movie was how well they kept the symbolic elements of the story. I'd expect your common director to try to cut those parts out. But in this movie they were there and in my opinion much easier to spot than they were in the book.

Another thing I liked is how well they moved things along and how well they did the effects. It made me consider getting the entire series of movies when they finish them. At least this movie. That way when our kids watch it they'll wonder about the rest of the story and want to read the books. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment